Is it really possible for your period to stop? What’s that all about?! The fact is, sometimes your periods may stop altogether. It’s a condition known as amenorrhea, which can be caused by:
• Dramatic weight loss. Have you heard of anorexia? Well, amenorrhea is a frequent telltale sign of the eating disorder anorexia nervosa, an illness in which the patient (usually a young woman) starves herself in order to be thin
• The ’binge/purge‘ disorder, bulimia, in which the patient eats a lot of food (bingeing) and then makes herself throw up (purging)
• Excessive exercise, like running more than 40 miles per week, or elite training in ballet/gymnastics, etc.
• Polycystic Ovary Disease (multiple cysts on the ovary)
• On some very low dose of birth control pills, there may be little or no menstrual flow